Cleanroom CO2 incubators
First-to-market, third party certified cleanroom compatible CO₂ incubators, suitable for use in ISO Class 5 and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) grade A/B environment
For related products and workflow solutions, please see the workflow & related products section on this page.
Whether it is to improve processes in your laboratory, extend the life of your equipment or minimize the contamination risk, we have gathered the following top tips for your cell culture equipment. Guidelines to spin your cells in centrifuges, proper care and maintenance of your CO2 incubator, cleaning routines for your Biological Safety Cabinet and more!
Centrifuge best practices
Watch the video that presents the correct usage of General Purpose Pro centrifuges for cell culture.
- General Purpose Pro centrifuge operation
- Ideal parameters for cell culture
- Choosing the right rotor
- Programming and documentation
CO2 incubator best practices
The care and maintenance of your CO₂ incubator is outlined in this technical note, including:
- Positioning and set up
- Reducing contamination
- Using the right water
- Calibration and maintenance
How to clean a biosafety cabinet*
This SmartNote on cleaning best practices for biological safety cabinets describes:
- SmartClean Plus technology
- Decontamination procedures
- Wipe/ spray disinfection
- UV disinfection
Contamination is a nightmare for every lab. You can minimize the risk of contamination with a combination of good cell culture practices, aseptic techniques, and the advanced capabilities of our lab equipment. Our outstanding contamination control technologies are designed to provide effective, convenient protection from microorganisms that threaten your valuable cultures.
Webinar: Exploring and preventing culture contamination
This webinar from Mary Kay Bates, Senior Global Cell Culture Scientist at Thermo Fisher Scientific covers:
- Different types of contamination
- How-to tips you can implement on a routine basis
- Explore methods for contamination control in your CO₂ incubator
Blog: Protecting your most precious cells against unplanned disasters
Kris Wronski, Cell Culture Scientist at Thermo Fisher Scientific, shares his experience of working in a busy cell culture lab and key factors to minimize the risk of contamination.
Technology: Equipment features to minimize contamination
Cleanability, filtration, UV light, copper surfaces and more features help minimize contamination in your lab and protect your cells. Explore the Protection tab in the equipment features section below to learn more.
Thermo Scientific centrifuges, CO2 incubators & biological safety cabinets, ideal for cell culture labs
From sample preparation to storage, explore the steps and all products we can support you with for your cell culture application.
Discover other lab equipment essential for your cell culture workflow
Automated cell counters
Experience the convenience and power of our automated cell counters designed to meet the needs of any lab. Each compact instrument offers advanced algorithms to allow you to quickly and accurately count cells from the bench.
Thermo Scientific Cold Storage Solutions include refrigerators to store your medium, controlled-rate freezers to freeze down cells and ULT freezers as well as cryopreservation systems to store cells.
Cell imaging benchtop microscopes
Powerful EVOS digital microscopes allow you to capture publication-quality images and data with just a few clicks. The EVOS line of products are versatile, compact and ideal for a broad range of imaging applications.
Thermo Scientific Precision General Purpose Water Baths offer enhanced temperature uniformity and stability and are easy to clean and maintain. The water baths can be used with water or thermal beads to prevent from contamination.
Water purification systems
Thermo Scientific water purification systems offer a wide selection of purification methods, capabilities and options. For more than 130 years, Thermo Scientific lab water systems have been a trusted resource for science.
The Attune Nxt Flow Cytometer is compact, benchtop cell analyser that can be configured with up to 4 spatially separated lasers to flexibly design, run, and analyse multicolour panels of up to 14 colours.
Whether you require support on one instrument or a whole fleet, we provide superior services and support that get you up and running faster.
Full-service support includes:
- Instrument and equipment installation, repair, and technical support
- Service plans with 50% faster response time and 30% less downtime**
- Extended warranties
- Preventive maintenance
- Compliance and calibration services
- Parts, consumables, software, and accessories
- Asset and supply management
- Application Note: “Effective applicability of Thermo Fisher Scientific Centrifuges with TX-1000 rotor in cell culture application”
- Smart Note: “How does Auto-Lock Rotor Exchange facilitate rotor placement and improve safety, compared with traditional rotor tie-down systems?”
- Smart Note: “How can the new design of Thermo Scientific General Purpose Pro Centrifuges improve its ergonomics and ease-of-use?”
- Smart Note: “How can maximum versatility be achieved with the Thermo Scientific General Purpose Pro Centrifuge series?”
- Smart Note (touchscreen): “How can features and easier communication between the unit and the user be achieved with Thermo Scientific General Purpose Pro Centrifuges?”
- Smart Note (large-capacity centrifuges): “How is it possible to reduce energy consumption and environmental impact with production-level centrifuges?”
Watch our video how our General Purpose Centrifuges fit cell culture applications:
- Tech Note: “Proper care and maintenance for a CO2 incubator”
- Smart Note: “Which incubation parameters are most important for proper cell growth and expression?”
- Smart Note: “Why does the location of sensors in my CO2 incubator affect responses from my cultured cells?”
- Smart Note: “Why is automated heat decontamination a better solution for sterilizing my CO2 incubator than an automated chemical disinfection, such as in situ hydrogen peroxide vapor?”
- Smart Note: How can using the wrong type of water to provide in-chamber humidity cause corrosion in my CO2 incubator?
- Smart Note: Consider all CO2 incubator parameters for best cell growth
- "Cell Locker System segregates stem cells, protecting from contamination and enhancing environmental stability"
- “Thermo Scientific Steri-Run Sterilization Cycle Proves Total Sterilization” App Note
- “Effective Heat Sterilization in CO2 Incubators” White Paper
- “Evaluating Infrared Carbon Dioxide Sensors for 21st Century Cell Culture: Introducing the Thermo Scientific IR180Si Infrared CO2 sensor” Application Note
Cell Locker System video
Biological safety cabinets
- Smart Note: What is airflow compensation in Class II biological safety cabinet (BSC)
- Smart Note: How can I ensure my UV germicidal bulb is giving optimal performance?
- Smart Note: What is the simplest way to operate your biological safety cabinet (BSC)?
- Smart Note: What is the best way to monitor airflows in a biological safety cabinet (BSC) to provide greater assurance of performance?
- Application Note: Understanding the differences between Class II, Type A2 and Type B2 Biological Safety Cabinets
- Smart Note: Why are airflow alarms an important consideration for Biological Safety Cabinets (BSCs)?
- Smart Note: Why is a dual blower system better than a single blower system?
- Smart Note: How do I extend the filter life of my biological safety cabinet (BSC)?
- Smart Note: What’s the best way to clean the Thermo Scientific Herasafe 2025 biological safety cabinet?
SmartFlow Plus technology video
* The product highlighted in the SmartNote is currently not available outside the EMEA region, however, the content also applies to similar models (e.g. Herasafe 2030i BSC).
** Internal records suggest that proactive, annual preventive maintenance can reduce the number of instrument repairs by up to 50% and decrease instrument downtime by as much as 30% when compared to ad hoc time and materials repair visits.